Mr. Finkel specializes in helping innovative companies in all industries form their business entities, finance their ideas, and protect and commercialize their intellectual property. His areas of practice include the following:
- Business entity organization and governance
- Merger and acquisition transactions
- Reorganization and restructuring transactions
- Shareholder buy-sell agreements
- Private placement of debt and equity
- Equity compensation plans
- Hybrid debt and equity transactions
- Copyright and trademark registration
- Trade secret protection and management
- IP licensing
- Technology transactions and IP due diligence
- Corporate shareholder and partnership disputes
- Breach of fiduciary duty and business torts
- IP infringement and misappropriation
More About Lonnie Finkel
Mr. Finkel practices in the areas of corporate, securities and intellectual property law. His practice encompasses transactional, litigation and regulatory matters on behalf of business enterprises and individuals across California. He has represented private and public corporations in a variety of commercial transactions since 1998. His corporate and securities practice focuses on:
- Formation of new business enterprises – including corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies – and counseling clients on the proper governance of those enterprises.
- Financing new and existing business entities, including private placements of debt and equity securities, public offerings of stock, and hybrid debt and equity transactions.
- Mergers and acquisitions of business entities, including mergers, asset acquisitions, and stock sales.
- Reorganizations, restructurings, divestitures, spin-offs and dissolutions.
- Stock option and equity compensation plans.
- Buy-sell agreements and ownership interest transfers.
Mr. Finkel has considerable experience securing intellectual property rights on behalf of clients through the U.S. Trademark Office and U.S. Copyright Office and helping his clients commercialize those assets. His intellectual property practice encompasses the following types of services:
- Intellectual property protection, including trademark and copyright registration and protection strategies.
- Intellectual property purchase and sale transactions.
- Licensing transactions.
- Software and application license, purchase and sale transactions.
- Joint venture transactions.
- Joint development transactions.
- Application service provider, software-as-service and other Internet based transactions.
- Outsourcing and data processing transactions.
- Technology maintenance and support transactions.
- Technology consulting transactions.
- Technology transfer transactions.
- Information technology, privacy and data security.
- Trade secret protection and licensing strategies.
Mr. Finkel’s litigation practice focuses on complex litigation in state and federal court. He has litigated on behalf of clients in a diverse set of matters involving:
- Breach of fiduciary duty.
- Corporate shareholder and partnership disputes.
- Unfair business practices.
- Breach of contract.
- Interference with contract and economic advantage.
- Fraud and deceit.
- Infringement of trademarks and copyrights.
- Misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential business information.
Mr. Finkel has also represented property owners, government agencies and public interest groups in land use and environmental disputes in both state and federal court.
Mr. Finkel’s regulatory practice focuses on assisting clients secure entitlements from local and state regulatory authorities. He also assists clients resolve disputes with local, state and federal regulatory agencies stemming from government investigations into clients’ business operations.
Mr. Finkel began his legal career in Washington D.C. litigating environmental cases in federal court with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Environmental Enforcement Section of the U.S. Department of Justice. Prior to starting his own firm, Mr. Finkel worked for several large firms based in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, including LeBouef, Lamb, Greene & MacRae, McCutchen, Doyle Brown & Enersen, and Buchalter, Nemer, Fields & Younger.
He holds a Bachelor of Arts from UCLA, a Master of Urban Planning from the University of Virginia and a Juris Doctorate from American University’s Washington College of Law. Mr. Finkel is licensed to practice law in California, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Finkel maintains a keen interest in the outdoors, spending much of his spare time with his children camping and hiking across the American West. He is active in his son’s Boy Scout troop, and is his daughter’s number one fan at her equestrian events.